Who can assert a Texas Wrongful Death Claim?

When a person is killed as a result of the negligence or fault of another, there is a claim for “wrongful death.”

In Texas, a wrongful death claim can be brought by the “personal representative” of the decedent. That is the “executor” or “administrator” of the decedent’s estate. The statutory beneficiaries that can assert the claims must be the spouse, children or parents of the decedent.

The Attorneys of Bickham Law Care About Your Family

The death of a loved one causes heartache and emotional turmoil for the surviving family members. When the death is sudden and unexpected, the grief can be incapacitating and can create lasting emotional scars. It is important that the attorney and staff understand these issues and be prepared to help family members obtain appropriate counseling if necessary.


Many times family members are too grief stricken to deal with the legal issues that accompany a wrongful death claim. However, if there is a surviving spouse or young children, legal action against the at-fault party may be necessary to provide for their financial well-being in the future. Therefore, some responsible family member must assume the burden of finding a good wrongful death lawyer to take immediate action.


The Attorneys at Bickham Law have handled many wrongful death cases. We can help deal with insurance claims, medical bills, and investigators. We know what you’re going through, and we can help lift some of the burden off your shoulders. We handle the details, so you can focus on your family.



Even if the victim is partially at fault, the family may still be entitled to recover a portion of their damages. Under Texas’s law of comparative fault, if more than one person causes an accident, the fault is shared by the parties. When interviewing an Texas wrongful death attorney to represent you, be sure to ask how much and what kinds of experience they have handling Texas wrongful death lawsuits.



If the decedent is survived by a spouse or dependent children, there is a claim for the economic support that the decedent would have provided to those family members during his or her lifetime. The victim’s family may also be entitled to recover damages for:

  • Funeral and burial expenses

  • Hospital and medical expenses

  • Mental anguish

  • Loss of companionship, care, advice, guidance, and counsel caused by the death of a loved one


Was your husband, wife, parent or child recently killed in an accident?

  • You Need Peace of Mind; We Can Help You Get It

  • We Will Help You Get Counseling

  • Get the Closure and Answers You Need











3120 Southwest Freeway 

Suite 612

Houston, Texas 77098

Tel: 713-526-4969

Fax: 713-526-4639

© 2016 by Bickham Law

All Rights Reserved